Youth Activities Center
The Youth Activities Center (known as the YAC) is a drop-in center for middle- and high-school students (ages 12-17). Located on the south lakefront at Heinz Beach, and adjacent to the Boys’ and Girls’ Club campus, the YAC features a bustling snack bar (with daily lunch specials at “kid” prices), a friendly staff, televisions, games, table tennis and pool tables.
The YAC is open Monday through Friday during the season.
Planning for the Youth Activities Center has been in full swing for many months now, and as the COVID restrictions and regulations in New York State continue to change, so, too, do the operating procedures for the YAC this summer. We fully realize that the operation of the YAC may look different from week to week depending on how restrictions loosen up, so please bear that in mind. Policy changes may be implemented throughout the season, but then again, the YAC has always managed to go with the flow.
With that in mind, here are some of the changes that can be expected at the YAC for at least the first few weeks of the season:
- In order to be able to use the High School Room due to the difficulty of social distancing in this space, we have designated this as a vaccinated only room. The High School Room will be used only by those kids who are fully vaccinated. Proof of vaccination will be required to be in that room, but once in there, masks and social distancing will not be required. Kids using that room will be allowed to eat in there, and potential YAC-tivities may take place there. The room will not be restricted by age, all kids who are fully vaccinated will be able to use this space.
- ALL OTHERS IN THE YAC ARE EXPECTED TO BE MASKED AND PRACTICING SOCIAL DISTANCE. The other areas in the YAC will have very limited use.
- Due to Covid-19 regulations, the YAC will be unable to hold dances this season until further notice.
- The only room used for eating inside of the YAC will be the High School Room. All other orders will be take-out only. Dining will be permitted on the upstairs deck as per usual, and this year also on the downstairs deck of the Heinz Fitness Center. Tables and stools will be set up on the lower deck for that purpose.
- To avoid the usual crush of people at the counters, beginning on Tuesday, June 29, THE ONLY FOOD ORDERS AVAILABLE FOR PICKUP BETWEEN 12-1 PM WILL BE ONES THAT ARE PRE-ORDERED, AND PRE-PAID (716-357-6291). Pick-up times will be set in 15 minutes blocks beginning at 11:45 a.m., 12 p.m., 12:15 p.m., etc., until 1 p.m., at which time on the spot orders may be taken. Please adhere to your pickup time as orders will not be ready until the designated times.
- Several of the items on our previous menus have had to be temporarily dropped due to space limitations, capacity limitations, and personnel limitations. We appreciate your patience as we try to increase our menu options as the summer progresses.
- The use of the building will be based on evolving regulations that will be changing throughout the season. The evening hours at the YAC and the offering of YAC-tivities will be based on current regulations. We will be doing everything within our power to have as “normal” of a season as possible.
- At this time, we plan to continue to serve our Tuesday breakfast sandwiches, and we also plan to have those picked up with 15-minute time designations also, beginning at 7:45 a.m. and going until 9 a.m. Please make every effort to have your breakfast sandwiches ordered by Monday evening. There will be a limited amount of sandwiches per time slot so plan accordingly. Breakfast sandwiches must be pre-ordered.
- At this time, we plan to have a Fla-Vor-Ice express line on the downstairs deck right after Club lets out at 4 p.m. Please have the correct change for this service.