Vacation Safely at Chautauqua
Thank you for considering a stay on Chautauqua Institution’s historic and idyllic grounds. As you prepare for your trip, you can rest assured that our entire community, from our staff and residents to business owners and fellow travelers, is committed to maintaining Chautauqua as a safe and family-friendly destination. Below you’ll find some brief information and links to resources that will assist you in your planning.
The information below details how Chautauqua is operating in 2021 — and how that will be similar to and different from recent years. One thing we know for sure is that the experience each of us has at Chautauqua will depend on all of us approaching this summer with a spirit of understanding, flexibility and looking out for each other.
COVID-19 Protocols in Venues and Facilities
Gov. Cuomo announced on June 15 that New York State has reached 70% of adults with at least one vaccine shot. With this milestone, the state lifted many of the COVID-19 restrictions under which New Yorkers have been living and working for 15 months. Chautauqua Institution, which has followed the science and the state guidance throughout this period, has followed suit. Most COVID-19 restrictions have been lifted for staff and patrons at Chautauqua Institution. There are some exceptions to this, including:
The Amphitheater will operate for nearly all events with a large section for vaccine-verified patrons and a distanced section for our patrons who do not display their Institution-issued vaccine verification sticker or card. At three popular entertainment events, all seating will be reserved for vaccine verified patrons. For most events, including all lectures and worship services, the section for vaccine-verified patrons will be general admission. Traditional Gate Pass (TGP) holders: See here for more details about whether seating reservations are required for evening events.
Performance Pavilion on Pratt
The Performance Pavilion on Pratt, where our patrons can view opera and theater performances, will also have vaccinated and unvaccinated sections under cover of the Pavilion. All seating under the roof is reserved and requires a separate ticket purchase. Seating on the lawn is complimentary for all pass and ticket holders and can be reserved in distanced pods of up to six people.
Please visit a Vaccine Verification location, listed below, upon arrival and bring your vaccination card (a photo of it or Excelsior Pass also works), your photo ID and your gate pass or ticket. If you are using only electronic tickets or your ticket does not have your name on it, we will provide a card for presentation at our venues.
- Main Gate Welcome Center:
Daily, 8 a.m.–8 p.m.
- Bestor Plaza Visitors Center:
Daily, 9 a.m.–3pm
- Amphitheater Screen House:
Sunday–Friday, 9 a.m.–11 a.m., and prior to select lectures or performances, generally those where larger crowds are expected
- Performance Pavilion on Pratt:
Prior to performances
In all other venues and activities, including foodservice, shops, galleries and other public amenities, the following restrictions have been lifted:
- Social distancing requirements
- Masking requirements for vaccinated staff and patrons. Unvaccinated individuals are required to follow CDC guidance regarding masking, which can be found at this link. Any individual can of course choose to wear a mask at their own discretion.
- Health screenings, including temperature checks (though we still and always ask that you not enter venues or buildings if symptomatic/sick)
- Enhanced cleaning procedures
- Capacity limits
- The need to collect contact information for tracing
Please note we will continue disinfecting high-touch areas in all our venues regularly throughout each day, and Chautauqua Institution employees are following CDC guidance regarding masking for vaccinated or unvaccinated persons. Some venues will remain closed to the public this summer.
As a federal entity, the Chautauqua post office has its own regulations. Please follow all signage posted at the building.
Procedures for Youth 16 and Under
One vaccinated (and verified) adult can be accompanied by 2 unvaccinated children 16 and younger in the vaccinated section of the Amp. Unvaccinated patrons must follow CDC guidance, which requires unvaccinated individuals to be masked when in the company of others indoors always and outdoors where 6 feet of distance can’t be maintained.
Youth programs operating procedures are described at this link.
All else is happening according to CDC guidelines.
Services and Amenities
- Medical Services: We are served by a number of local and regional hospitals that are accustomed to accommodating seasonal population increases. During our Summer Assembly, AHN-Westfield Memorial Hospital operates a primary care clinic on the Chautauqua Institution grounds.
- Amenities: Chautauqua is home to a number of shops and restaurants, all operating in compliance with New York state guidance and laws, and our recreation activities and facilities provide ample opportunities and space to safely break a sweat indoors and out. Hours and availability vary by program and season. Visit the Chautauqua County Visitors Bureau for information on all our region offers.
- Public Transportation: We are operating on a limited schedule due to the late timing of the lifting of state restrictions and challenges with hiring and other logistics. Masks are required on buses but not on open-air trams (extended golf carts).
- Youth Programs: Operational, with modifications described here.
Tickets and Accommodations
- Tickets and Gate Passes: Start here to plan your 2021 Summer Assembly stay.
- Accommodations: Secure your accommodations through our online directory and search engine (availability varies by season). Our Athenaeum Hotel follows CDC, state and local requirements regarding health and safety measures; if you’re staying in private accommodations, check with your host regarding their procedures.
- Refunds: See our Ticketing Policies page. If you’re staying in privately owned accommodations, please check with the host regarding their separate refund policies.