Bicycles are an efficient way to get around the grounds. They must be equipped with a bell or other signaling device and have brakes in working order.
After sunset a headlight and rear reflector are required, and New York State law requires that bicyclists under 14 wear a safety helmet. A bicycle rental shop is located on the grounds during the season. Bicycles may be rented from the Jamestown Cycle Shop’s Chautauqua location on Massey Avenue, next to the Chautauqua Fire Department, 10 a.m.–6 p.m. Monday–Saturday, noon–6 p.m. Sunday (716-357-9032). Skateboarding is not permitted on the grounds. Rollerblading is allowed on perimeter streets.
In order to better regulate bicycle traffic at Chautauqua and to provide for better enforcement of our rules and regulations about bicycles, the Institution requires the registration of all bicycles. There is no charge for registration and registration stickers can be issued and mailed by the Ticket Office along with your ticket order.
How To Get To Chautauqua
GPS Address: 1 Massey Avenue, Chautauqua, NY
Chautauqua Institution is located in the southwestern corner of New York State.
From the New York State Thruway (Interstate 90): Take Exit 60. Turn left onto NY-394/North Portage Street. Continue to follow NY-394 East.
From the Southern Tier Expressway (Interstate 86):
- If eastbound, take Exit 7 (Panama/Chautauqua Institution), turn left onto CR-33, then right onto West Lake Road/NY-394.
- If westbound, take Exit 8 (Mayville/Lakewood), then right on NY-394 West.
Bus service includes Coach USA (Buffalo to Jamestown 716-665-3076), and Chautauqua Area Rural Transit (Chautauqua County; 1-800-556-8553 in Dunkirk).
Amtrak (Buffalo or Erie, no stops in Chautauqua County) (716) 856-2075.
Transportation to Chautauqua during Summer Assembly
For reservations call, Buffalo Airport Shuttle at 716-685-2550
(must call for reservations 2 weeks in advance)
Saturdays and Sundays
Buffalo Intl. Airport → CHQ • 10:30 a.m., 1 p.m., 3:30 p.m. and 6 p.m.
CHQ → Buffalo Intl. Airport • 7:30 a.m., 9:30 a.m., 1 p.m. and 3:30 p.m.
Buffalo Airport Shuttle also offers transportation to/from Erie International Airport and the Erie Train Station. Call 716-685-2550 for details and rates.
Also schedules from:
- Toronto, Ontario, Canada — door to door
- Erie International Airport, Erie, Pennyslvania
- Jamestown, Chautauqua County Airport
- Cleveland International Airport
- Pittsburgh international Airport
Additional Transportation Services
- A Fancee Limousine Service 1-800-947-1537
- Chautauqua Limousine 716-683-7455 (Buffalo Airport only; reservations should be made in advance)
- Advanced Transportation 716-267-2607 or 716-499-2607.
- Sears Luxury Transport 814-730-8032 (all airports; advance reservations required)
- Transitions Limousine 716-908-3030
- Uber and Lyft services (availability varies)
Local taxi service:
- Rainbow Cab 716-484-9994 or 716-664-6463
- Chautauqua Area Rural Transit (CARTS) (Chautauqua County; 1-800-556-8553 in Dunkirk).
- Amtrak (Buffalo or Erie, no stops in Chautauqua County) 716-856-2075
Car rentals include:
- Buffalo International Airport
- Hertz Rent-A-Car 716-484-1060
- National Car Rental 1-800-654-3131
- Enterprise Rent-A-Car 1-800-325-8007