Music takes center stage for the first time this year at CTC. Our two mainstage shows and our traveling Shakespeare all feature live music and we are developing our first musical New Play Workshop!
- We are thrilled to partner with the Chautauqua Choir, who will join us on stage singing heavenly hymns in Lucas Hnath’s The Christians inspiring us to feel the spirit.
- In One Man, Two Guvnors our very own Beatles-inspired band will keep your toes tapping and the laughs coming as musical hijinks add to the farcical fun.
- The haunting folk harmonies of our fairy trio will draw you into the magic of love in our outdoor touring production of A Midsummer Night’s Dream; which you can see throughout the summer in Bestor Plaza or in one of our three touring locations in Jamestown, Mayville or Southern Tier Brewery.
- Some plays have a musical poetry within their language, such as two of our New Play Workshops: How the Light Gets In and On the Exhale. Both of these new plays follow women as they cope with life altering situations.
- We close out the season with a New Play Workshop of a brand new musical - Agent 355, wherein an all-female punk rock band uses the power of song to excavate the thrilling history of an unidentified female American Revolutionary War spy!
Each of these pieces blend music, rhythm and storytelling in different ways, yet what they all have in common is a belief that music is universal and can be a window into the soul.
We hope that you join us in letting the music move you.
About Chautauqua Theater Company
Entering its 35th Season, Chautauqua Theater Company is the resident professional theater and Conservatory of Chautauqua Institution. Internationally known actors, directors, designers and writers join 20 emerging artists drawn from the nation’s top training programs to form a unique company that produces a vibrant summer of work in the historic Bratton Theater. Dedicated to the next generation of theater artists, the development of new work, first-rate productions of modern and contemporary classics, and fresh insight into Shakespeare’s canon, CTC produces the best of a year-round regional theater within eight weeks of Chautauqua’s nine-week summer season.
About Chautauqua Institution
Chautauqua Institution is a community on the shores of Chautauqua Lake in southwestern New York state that comes alive each summer with a unique mix of fine and performing arts, lectures, interfaith worship and programs, and recreational activities. As a community, we celebrate, encourage and study the arts and treat them as integral to all of learning, and we convene the critical conversations of the day to advance understanding through civil dialogue.