Youth and Family Programs Covid-19 Protocols
As of Aug. 2, 2021
Chautauqua Institution year-round and seasonal leadership teams with the support of a team of advisors, have developed safety plans for the operation of youth and family programs for this summer which will be in effect.
- All participants and staff members will be required to wear CDC-recommended face covering when indoors. This includes on the Children’s School buses.
- When outdoors, masks will be optional for program participants and staff members
- Participants will not be required to wear face coverings when they create an increased safety risk for the wearer, such as during aquatic activities.
- Accommodations will be made in accordance with the ADA for participants who are unable to wear a face covering due to a medical reason.
- We anticipate that the majority of youth and family program staff will be vaccinated before the opening of the season.
- Any staff member who has not provided proof of vaccination will be required to remain masked at all times.
- Families will be required to share daily health screening information prior to or upon check-in
- This screening is completed through CampDoc. Families should ensure prior to arriving that you have access to CampDoc. If you do not, please email Alyssa Porter at email@example.com for assistance.
- Children who are experiencing symptoms of Covid-19 will not be permitted to attend programming.
- Families will be required to pick up their child or confirm that their child may return home on their own if symptoms develop during program hours. Children who develop symptoms during program hours will be isolated from their program group until departure.
- All participants are required to complete their camper health information through CampDoc prior to arriving at the program site. Your child will not be permitted to attend programming without a complete CampDoc profile.
- Families, guests, vendors, and other visitors are not permitted to remain in youth program spaces longer than what is necessary to complete registration, update forms, or complete necessary tasks.
- Program spaces must be closed to the public in order to operate this season.
- Air ventilation will be increased in all buildings through use of open doors, windows and fans.
- Programming may be canceled in cases of inclement weather that limits our ability to safely operate
- Programming will only be canceled in extreme weather events where doors and windows cannot remain open
- Program staff will make every effort to notify families of program cancelation prior to scheduled check-in time, but this may not always be possible as weather conditions can change quickly.
- Refunds will not be processed when programs are canceled due to weather.
- All groups have a limited registration capacity.
- It is preferred that registration is completed at least one week in advance to give the program team enough time to plan for your child’s arrival to program. On a case-by-case basis, we may be able to accommodate week of registrations.
- You will be able to register at the Ticket Office in person or by calling 716-357-6250, option 5, through the Friday of the week before your session at 12 p.m. EDT.
- Beginning on Monday morning at 10 a.m. EDT, you can inquire about registration in person at Boys’ and Girls’ Club, Group One, and Children’s School or by calling the respective program at their office number:
- Activities will be limited to single groups unless at least 6 feet can be maintained between all individuals
- Increased surface sanitation and procedures will be in place for all youth venues
- Consistent staffing will be maintained in groups as much as possible
- Specialty counselors, teachers, and special guests will be required to maintain 6 feet of distance from groups
- Activities will be limited to those that program leadership are confident can be offered safely.
- Children will be required to wash their hands and sanitize at regular intervals: check in to program, prior to departure, and between activities as needed
- If there is a suspected positive case in a program, program leadership will report the case to Human Resources who will then work with the appropriate Department of Health officials as needed.
- Affected venues may be deep cleaned if called for in accordance with the program safety plan.
- Depending on activity schedule, individual groups or the full program may be canceled for the remainder of the session or until a negative test is confirmed by a medical professional.
- Families will be notified if they are impacted by a change in program schedule and/or their child was potentially exposed to a positive case.
- The Children’s School Yellow Busses are suspended until further notice.
- In the absence of School Busses, families are asked to walk their child/children to Children’s School and Group One.
- Those coming from off the grounds may secure a temporary pass. Please enter from Turner Gate for Children’s School drop off and turn right onto Palestine and left onto Hurst.
- On-grounds patrons may use trams and busses if necessary. Masks are required at all times on Busses, even if you are vaccinated.
- All children are required to clear a temperature check before entering programming each morning. We will perform the checks upon arrival at program.
Youth Activities Center
Planning for the Youth Activities Center will continue to see changes as the policies and guidelines across New York State are updated.
- Anyone who enters the YAC will be required to wear a mask and adhere to social distancing expectations.
- In order to be able to use the High School Room due to the difficulty of social distancing in this space, we have designated this as a vaccinated only room. The High School Room will be used only by those kids who are fully vaccinated.
- Proof of vaccination will be required to be in that room; masks and social distancing will not be required in this space only.
- Kids using that room will be allowed to eat in there, and potential YAC-tivities may take place there.
- The room will not be restricted by age, all kids who are fully vaccinated will be able to use this space
- Due to Covid-19 regulations, the YAC will be unable to hold dances this season until further notice.
- The only room used for eating inside of the YAC will be the High School Room. All other food orders will be take-out only.
- Dining will be permitted on the upstairs deck as per usual, and this year also on the downstairs deck of the Heinz Fitness Center. Tables and stools will be set up on the lower deck for that purpose.
- Beginning on Tuesday, June 29, THE ONLY FOOD ORDERS AVAILABLE FOR PICKUP BETWEEN 12-1 PM WILL BE ONES THAT ARE PRE-ORDERED, AND PRE-PAID (716-357-6291).
- Pick-up times will be set in 15 minutes blocks beginning at 11:45 a.m., 12 p.m., 12:15 p.m., etc., until 1 p.m.,
- At 1 p.m. on the spot orders may be taken.