Who are Chautauqua Advocates?
CHQ Advocates are a group of dedicated Chautauquans who host local gatherings and share their Chautauqua experiences with friends, neighbors and colleagues — and help Chautauqua engage others who are likely to enjoy and benefit from the arts, ideas, and lifelong learning. These gatherings do not have to be large in scale and can simply be an informal gathering in your home.
How can we help?
Chautauqua Institution staff is here to help throughout the process. We can help with guest list creation, mailings and brochures, artwork, and will provide a DVD with short videos on Chautauqua, the arts, religion, music, entertainment, recreation, youth programs, and education. Visit our media resources for pictures of Chautauqua Institution to use at your party.
Steps to becoming a CHQ Advocate
- Contact Jordan Steves, Director of Strategic Communications and Community Relations, today regarding your interest in becoming an advocate.
- Determine your hosting plans. Would you like to have an informal conversation or show videos provided by Chautauqua? Would you like to focus on the performing and fine arts or give an overall summary of Chautauqua programming?
- Decide on your style of gathering (community meeting, dessert party, tea, cocktails and finger foods, etc.).
- Prepare a guest list that includes names, mailing addresses and emails. Chautauqua staff is here to assist in this process. We can contact other Chautauquans in your area to see if they know of any other possible guest contacts or have collaboration ideas.
- Determine the size of your party depending on how many will fit comfortably in your home or other chosen venue.
- Tailor the invitation template to your gathering plans and style and mail and/or email invitations to the guest list. Plan on providing three to four weeks’ notice, if possible. View invitation template.
- Follow up with guests who you have not heard from (one week out).
- On the evening of the event, be informative and have fun! Share your Chautauqua experiences and describe the programming mix — there’s something for everyone!
- Show a short video about Chautauqua at your event. Contact Jordan Steves to request a DVD.
- Have guests sign in on the provided sheet.
- Send your completed guest sign-in sheet and a photo of the event (if you took one) to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to: Jordan Steves, Marketing and Communications, Chautauqua Institution, PO Box 28, Chautauqua, NY 14722.
- Jordan Steves will be in touch with you following the event to debrief and benefit from your feedback and experiences.