- Online Registration: Oct. 15, 2021 – Nov. 15, 2021. SPACE IS LIMITED. Registration begins October 15 at 10 a.m. and will close on November 15 at 11:59 p.m.
- Informational Meeting: Tuesday, Oct. 26, 2021 at 6:00 p.m. at Turner Community Center at Chautauqua Institution, 4840 West Lake Rd, Chautauqua, NY 14722
- 2022 Book list announced: Friday, October 29, 2021
- Mandatory coach meetings: Two options at Turner Community Center at Chautauqua Institution – Saturday, Dec. 4, 2021 at 10 a.m. OR Wednesday, Dec. 7, 2021 at 6 p.m. Each team’s set of books will be distributed to the coaches at these meetings.
- Last Day to Change Team Info & Permission Forms Due: Monday, April 4, 2022
- Mandatory logistics meetings: Two options at the Amphitheater at Chautauqua Institution – Tuesday, May 10, 2022 at 6:00 p.m. OR Wednesday, May 11, 2022 at 6:00 p.m.
- Battle of the Books Contest: Saturday, May 21, 2022 in the Amphitheater at Chautauqua Institution at 2:00 p.m.
Info for Coaches
The coach or a designated adult for the team must attend one of the mandatory coaches meetings AND one of the mandatory logistics meetings (see p. 2 of Coach Handbook).
A coach may serve as coach for only ONE team.
- Act as communication link between Battle staff and team members and parents regarding all information and materials for Battle of the Books, including book and ticket distribution.
- Since email is the primary method of communicating with coaches, please ensure the email address entered into the registration form is one that is regularly monitored.
- When communicating with Battle staff, please use firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
- Notify Battle staff of any special needs of your team members by April 4, 2022.
- Ensure that your team’s name has been confirmed by Battle staff in case multiple teams select the same name.
- You may wish to develop a list of alternate names in case your team’s requested name has already been claimed.
- The last day to make changes to team name and participating students is April 4, 2022.
- Submit signed participation forms and signed photo release forms for themselves and each team member by April 4, 2022.
- Read each of the books to assist teams with preparation.
- Explain the answering and scoring procedures to your team (see p. 4 of Coach Handbook).
- Make sure your team demonstrates good sportsmanlike behavior throughout the Battle. Be responsible, respectful and ready!
- Ensure that your team members and their families understand the rules of the Battle and expectations on the day of the event.
- Ensure that your team members and their families are aware of the Battle date and location.
- Please remind students and parents to stay off of the floor/grid at the Battle event. Please do not walk across the mats.
- Ensure your team has transportation to the Battle on the day of the event.
During the actual Battle, each coach will act as monitor for another team. You will be asked to:
- Leave your packet of Battle supplies (answer sheets, pencils, etc.) with your original team.
- Make sure that the team you are monitoring remains quiet during the reading of the questions.
- Ensure that the team you are monitoring stops writing at the end of the 30-second time limit (whether or not their answer is complete).
- Most importantly, remain focused on the team you are monitoring. Please remember that these students need your encouragement.
No cell phones, electronic devices, or other reading materials will be allowed on the floor by coaches or students.
Build team spirit:
- Meet regularly.
- Decorate team T-shirts or create other costumes.
- Costumes must comply with all requirements listed in your school district’s student dress code, including but not limited to:
- No gory costumes (blood, guts, skeletons, ghosts)
- Costumes may not include toys that resemble weapons (guns, knives, swords, machetes, axes, blades, etc.)
- If you are not allowed to wear it to school, you are not allowed to wear it to Battle of the Books.
- To avoid tripping hazards, please refrain from using cumbersome props or decorations like feathers that easily detach from costumes. As a reminder, no roller blades, skateboards, cleats, high heels or other footwear that could damage a floor are permitted.
- Create a sign for your team to hold when marching in the parade. The purpose of the sign is to identify your team.
- Book titles, authors, and/or covers may NOT be a part of the team’s costume or sign. When creating a sign, keep in mind that teams will be sitting in a small amount of space and posters will need to be stored under your mat. The sign should be no larger than a standard poster board, 22” x 28”.
- It is recommended that you do not use 3-D items such as beads, feathers, etc. on your sign, as it will be stored under your mat during the Battle.
Prepare for the Battle:
- Decide who will read each book. It will be to your team’s advantage to make sure at least two team members read each book. In the past, the most successful teams have had all team members read the books and then assigned “experts” for each book.
- Decide how often you will meet to discuss the books.
- Hold mock battles or “Jeopardy” style games based on the books.
- Have students compose practice questions to quiz each other during the meetings. Please refer to the Types of Questions section (p. 11 of Coach Handbook). Remember questions on all parts of the books are valid.
- Contact your school library to determine if other teams from your school are participating so you can practice together.
Encourage and reward students:
- Offer praise and encouragement.
- Serve snacks at your meetings.
- Play a game before your meetings.
- Have a party after the Battle.
- Keep it fun and make happy memories.
Please check the FAQs on the Battle of the Books website: chq.org/battleofthebooks.
If your questions are not answered, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
Continue to check the FAQs page for updated information.
Info for Parents
- The Battle will be held on May 21, 2022 in the Amphitheater at Chautauqua Institution. The competition will begin at 2 p.m. and will last approximately three hours.
- If accompanied by their coach, students may check in at the Amphitheater starting at 12 p.m. All other students may begin checking in at 1 p.m. All team members must be checked in by 1:45 p.m. Any students arriving after that time will be disqualified.
- Signed participation forms and signed photo release forms are required for each coach and team member. They will be posted to chq.org/battleofthebooks and must be returned by April 4, 2022.
- Children not participating in the Battle must be accompanied at all times by an adult. Children are not permitted to roam the venue unattended.
- The Battle consists of four rounds of questions. There will be a 15-minute break after round two.
- Appropriate footwear must be worn so the floor is not damaged. Roller blades, skateboards, cleats, high heels, etc. are not allowed. Similarly, to avoid tripping hazards, costumes with feathers and other easily detachable decorative elements are discouraged.
- Food and beverages:
- Feed your child lunch before arriving at the Battle location. Small snack items will be available at the concessions stand.
- No food or drinks are permitted in the Amphitheater. All will be confiscated.
- Your child should use the restroom before arriving, as bathroom space and time before the Battle are limited.
- No cell phones, other electronic devices, or books are permitted on the Battle floor.
- As the Battle date approaches, visit chq.org/battleofthebooks for updated information.
- Scores will not be posted. Coaches will receive their team score approximately seven (7) business days after the event. All scores are final.
- Team and other event photos will be posted to the Chautauqua Institution Facebook page within two weeks after the Battle.
Online registration for the 2022 Battle of the Books will be open from October 15 to November 15, 2021.
Each coach and student member of the team must fill out the appropriate two-sided form posted below to participate in Battle of the Books. The forms must be returned to Battle staff by April 4, 2022. Forms will be made available to coaches after registration closes.